[SunRescue] Off Topic: Rescuing my Sun

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 21 03:56:41 CDT 2001

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 04:44:01AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Of course you're right, James...My comment was a purely knee-jerk
> reaction because lately I've been surrounded by people who insist that
> they NEEEEEEED a 1.4GHz processor to serve their six-page [completely
> static] web site on their 768kbit DSL circuit.

once you get to a certain point, you dont notice when a machine gets
FASTER, other than compiles, etc... For normal Windows UI stuff (Netscape,
etc), I havent really noticed any speed increases (other than load times)
between a celeron 300 machine with 128meg and this Athlon 700Mhz machine
with half a gig...

>   From my perspective of late, those people drastically outnumber the
> folks who are doing any *work* to generate the data that they spew
> across the network.

And the people with the biggest machines are always the people who
need them the least.  In tech support in '95, I saw doctors with Pentium
120s, etc, with 128meg RAM - while the tech support guys had 486-66s
with 32meg and crappy old VGA monitors...

bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net