[SunRescue] best OS for a SMP SS10

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 21 03:34:28 CDT 2001

On Sun, 20 May 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   I'm not really *recommending* it, but when the alternatives are things
> like 1) slowing the otherwise reasonably fast machine down with
> Solaris and 2) losing the second processor with something fast like

I'd like to hear some hard data on why you feel Solaris is slower on this
hardware than SunOS 4.  To be sure, it takes longer to boot and has a
larger memory footprint, but memory management and syscall performance has
in most cases been dramatically improved.  IO intensive apps I ran on
similar hardware universally showed an improvement when moving to Solaris,
and this was back in the 2.4 days!

Note that I'm not referring to most of the bundled UI goo that comes along
with Solaris (CDE) as to get reasonable performance and a level playing
field you'd want to compile MIT/TOG X11 from scratch anyway.

-James