[SunRescue] Re: FS SPARCenter 2000E System Board

Adam Skaffloth rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun May 20 15:30:33 CDT 2001

There was a lot happening with the SC2000/SC2000E over the years.
The main difference between 2000 and 2000E is a 40MHz Bus or a 50MHz Bus.
But also the 2000E was in different versions, the cooling system was
changed,
and it was delivered with different air baffle system to be able to cool
the new SM81-2 SuperSparc II Processors.
Also the newer version needed more Power than the previous one, so it has
different Power Supply System
than the previous ones.

Look in the Field Engineers Handbook to check.
I think Chassis made after 1996 is safe to be running fully equiped.
That also have 4 Cooling Fan (or Blower as the name it) instead of one.
If one fail the system would be able to handle the cooling still.

You can upgrade the Control Board and the System Board to get to 50 MHz,
you can not mix 40 and 50 MHz Boards, neither have different Processor
Modules on a 2000E.
You can still use the same Memory.

I change made also is the Auto-NVRAM System to select Master Board and
update the Controller NVRAM.
You should at least have a boot prom of 2.27 or higher. There is a Y2K
problem in a POST routine that
is cosmetic that was changed in Ver 2.31.

SS1000(e)/SS2000(e) are using the same Boot PROMs.

/ Adam Skaffloth

>Michael S. Schiller wrote:
>
>Ken: (and/or anyone else on the list!)
>
>I was under the impression that the CPU cards, and the controller card WERE
>only parts that were different? Are there other parts?
>
>The real question I have is would I have to get rid of my existing 3 cpu
>cards, or could I use all 6 cards?
>
>-Mike
>
>Ken Hansen wrote:
>
>> The whole server is available, so you could probably get *all* the
>> SC2000E-specific parts from him.
>>
>> Ken

MB