[SunRescue] Tape drive

Ken Caruso rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun May 20 14:58:43 CDT 2001

Well not being much of 9000 guru I couldnt really say, however the 9000 in
our department (while I was there, 1 year) never really saw any
downtime. I do remember him telling a story of one that went through a
major earthquake in CA and got shaken around quite a bit but powered up
like a champ (with some minor issues) . On that note, service for those
things was incredibly expensive, he did a consolidation job for a company
where he took down one of two 9000's put them memory from the retired one
into the remaning system and did some tuning for around the area of
$50,000. From a geek standpoint he seemed to like them quite a bit, the
license plate on his Ducati read VAX9K and his fiat's plate read IPL31
(which since then is where I have hijacked my username/handle from
:). They way he put it, if he was driving in his fiat with the top down he
was running at IPL31 and there wasnt any other process that could take CPU
time from him :) But it seems like from your experience they were a
somewhat a lemon.

Later

Ken