[SunRescue] best OS for a SMP SS10

David Rouse rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun May 20 08:12:42 CDT 2001

On 5/20/01 at 5:56 AM, Tugrul Galatali <tugrul at galatali.com> wrote:

>   I just found a gig for my SS10, I just want to know what
>is the lightest OS for the box that supports SMP... I was going to

>   Seems like I'm out of options... maybe an older solaris if I can find
>the media.
>
>   The box is equipped with 2 SM41s, so you can see why I'd like both
>online :)

I've got a machine with two SM51s and Solaris 7 and it doesn't to me run
terribly slow. I do tend to avoid the CDE on older machines, but I like the
clean look of the OpenWindows desktop, and it seems to take a lot less
memory than Sun's CDE. And as Mr. Bradford has said many times, you can
always turn stuff off (like SNMP support, NSCD, RPC) if you don't like them
or don't use them.

Note that I've not tried other OSs on my machines (I've an IPX, SS10 and
SS1000 all running Solaris 7) but I haven't been fustrated by the slowness
to try any others OSs either. So I'm not trying to say any OS is best or
faster.

--
drouse