[SunRescue] SparcStation Voyager Serial Port Strangeness

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun May 20 07:39:13 CDT 2001

I have a Voyager, and I agree with Bill's comments from his earlier post).

RAM is *impossible* to find. When I got my Voyager, I made sure it had the
Max RAM, HD space dould be gotten easily enough, but RAM was the sticking
point.

The HD is a 2.5" SCSI drive - these were made in densities of up to 1.2 Gig
AFAIK, but there are available drives that are thin IDE notebook drives,
with IDE <-> SCSI converts bolted onto them for (relatively) high prices -
$400 for a 6.4 Gig "kit" from www.powerbook1.com (I got one of these for my
SPARCBook 3GX, very nice), or Tadpole is selling out of 12 Gig drives in
trays for the SPARCbook for $650 (IIRC - Bill posted this to the sparcbook
list a few days ago).

I have no battery for the unit, and to be fair, I wouldn't use it if I did.
I think the run time on th ebattery was just short of reasonable :^(

There is a place in California (Silicon Salvage) that was selling
replacement Compact Keyboards - I snapped up an extra, as that is a part
uniqe to the Voyager, and a very likely candidate for failure down the
road -I'd suggest grabbing one of those.

Solaris 7 is the last release of Solaris to support this machine - the
docs.sun.com website has the installtion books online, detailing the
Voyager-specific install concerns (IIRC).

My Voyager is, for now, a shelf-queen - I will use it, but I got it for the
sheer "geek factor" of it. I also have the 60 MHz CPU, but since mine was a
production model, I have OpenBSD running on it without incident.

You may want to see if you can update the OpenBoot PROM - pre-production
worries me. If someone has a program for copying the OPENBOOT prom off my
Voyager and a way to burn replacement PROMs, it would probably be worth it.
That may be why you can't access the serial/PCMCIA slots...

HTH, good luck, let us all know what you come up with,

Ken