[SunRescue] Tape drive

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun May 20 00:51:17 CDT 2001

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 01:39:21AM -0400, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> How many VMS installations have users(people who log in and switch
> between different programs for different tasks like word processing and
> spreadsheet)? I bet most VMS installations are either application servers,
> or they serve terminals, but the users are automatically logged in to a
> program that communicates mainly with some sorta database back end?

How many Solaris installs are being used as desktops, versus people
logging in and running apps that way remotely?  Heck, half the Sun boxes
I own dont even have the X/OpenWin/CDE stuff *installed*.

ohno.mrbill.net / sunhelp.org is an example - i've never even used
the framebuffer thats built onto the motherboard.

Personally, if you want a great "desktop" OS, run Windows, Linux, or
if you want esoteric and pretty, IRIX....

When I used a Solaris desktop (for 2.5 years) I ran WindowMaker. CDE is
just crap, IMHO.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford