[SunRescue] fun SCSI errors

Dan Debertin rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat May 19 22:13:39 CDT 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> How do you know that "termination is not a problem"?  Have you measured
> the impedance of the bus and the termination power at both ends of the
> bus?

Certainly not. I don't think I even know where to get tools for that...

> The only way to be absolutely sure would be to take the exact same
> physical bus that's in the Sun, including all the devices but the HA,
> and attach it to the i386 box, and then vice versa.

Yes; I actually was able to do this, on your suggestion, by plugging my
NetBSD box directly into the SCSI shelf of the 670MP. Looked very odd ;).
You were right; the NetBSD box reported problems as well.

> I would suggest making sure that the drive is supplying termination
> power (but not termination), and then try swapping cables, terminators,
> and even taking other stuff off the bus on the Sun for testing.

I'm working with scroungeware -- whatever mix of disks, cables & adaptors
I could pull together for the purpose. It looks like I might have a dodgy
CEN50->CEN50 cable; swapping in one from work appears to have cleared
things up.

Thanks for the kick in the arse; I was assuming too much and asked before
I had gone through the requisite troubleshooting steps.

Dan
--
Dan Debertin
airboss at nodewarrior.org