[SunRescue] Tape drive

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat May 19 18:45:43 CDT 2001

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 07:15:04PM -0400, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> So, what is the appeal of Netapps, as opposed to a single large hard
> drive, or a small raid of not so large hard drives?

*blink*

You've obviously never used one. 8-)

Imagine a huge DEDICATED NFS server.  RAID-5.  Hotswap drives.
Failover redundancy if you need it.  INCREDIBLE NFS performance
(because thats ALL its designed to do; well, supports CIFS as
well).  Takes a total of less than five minutes to setup out
of the box (not including rackmount time).

They simply DO NOT BREAK.

Expensive, yes, but you get what you pay for.  If you dont
need directly-attached SAN storage (EMC, etc), NetApp is
the next best thing.

Sun's T3 storage stuff is a competitor, but I havent used
their stuff - and I doubt I will, as its expensive, and
they're not about to send me an evail unit. 8-)

My NA is a F330, one of the older Intel P75-based units
('97-98ish), and I'll only have a shelf of 7 2G drives (its
a DEC StorageWorks BA350 drive shelf), but its got a high
geek factor, and if your data has to be reliable - they're
the way to go.

bill

--
Bill Bradford