[SunRescue] Tape drive

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat May 19 16:10:52 CDT 2001

I've not used them before, but *big* DLT drives go for about $200 (15/30
GB/tape).

Media cost is probably prohibitive, but these are typical SCSI drives and
should work fine with everything you listed. I use 8mm at my house for
backups, but the biggest tape drive I hve is an Exabyte 8500. These drives
can typically be gotten for under $100, and media costs are lower (but so is
the density, you will use a lot more of the 8mm tapes than a single DLT
tape)...

So I guess the answer is do you want to spend a lot on tapes, or on the
drives? ;^)

You should really try and determine how muc stuff really need to be backed
up - you may find that a backup strategy based on reusing CD-RW media may
suffice...

Just a thought,

Ken