[SunRescue] Use of DEC 3/4 inch cd in Sun SS4?

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 18 13:48:31 CDT 2001

Bob wrote:
> funky setups and that sort of thing).  The cdrom in the DEC box is
> IDENTICAL, except for color to the one in my office SS5 box.  My
> expectation is that if I reset the ID from DEC's 5 to Sun's 6, that
> it might work in my home SS4 box.  Is this something that should
> be doable?

It should work, but then again it may not be bootable. It depends if
the CD-ROM is setup to do 512-byte blocks (sun bootable/happy) or
the lame PC standard of 2048-byte blocks.

If you hunt around there are schematics out there which shows how to
solder (or is it desolder?) two contacts on some of the Toshiba OEM
drives to make them do 512-byte blocks and vice-versa. These 1/3rd
height "funky" drives are usually Toshiba OEM XM-5401's.

-Jon