[SunRescue] BSD faster than Solaris??

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 23:32:39 CDT 2001

On 18 May 2001 00:17:16 -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Thursday, May 17, 2001 at 21:47:28 (-0400), Gil Young wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: [SunRescue] BSD faster than Solaris??
> >
> > I dont doubt anything you observed.  In my "touchy-feely" experience, BSD
> > running Linux packages in emulation mode run them overall faster than Linux
> > does :).  BSD is very well optimized.
[snip]

> As of 1.6 (and in -current now) there will finally be a unified buffer
> cache (UBC) (to go along with the entirely new, from the ground up,
> virtual memory implementation (UVM).  In -current now the UBC thing is a
> bit agressive at stealing "unused" memory for the buffer cache, and it
> does this by paging out "stale" processes.  Unfortunately if they turn
> out to not be quite so stale it'll cause a bit of thrashing.  You don't
> notice it too much on machines with more than ample memory, but
> supposedly on smaller machines, and particularly if you mix
> workstation-like activies (such as X11, audio, etc.) with server-like
> activities (such as compiling, databases, etc.) then you'll supposedly
> not be so happy.  These issues should be resolved by the time 1.6 is
> released.

Erm, compiling is a server-like activity?  Most of my "servers" don't
even have a compilers installed.  A lot of places have dedicated build
machines, but I tend to think of that as a much more workstation like
activity than any sort of "server" application.  Server run web, ftp,
dns, file/print services, and that sort of thing.
Speaking of compiles, has anybody here set up Tinderbox, or another
automated build system on Solaris, using the Forte Workshop compilers?
	Greg