VIS code (was: Re: [SunRescue] help a guy run 2.6 on his 670MP)

Sam Creasey rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 16:20:49 CDT 2001

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   I went back to NetBSD and have been happy ever since.  Though
> currently I'm developing an application under Solaris7 because I
> wanted to make use of the Ultrasparc's VIS instruction set.  While
> it's nowhere near as "clean" as a nice modern NetBSD load, I'm
> impressed with Solaris7 so far.  And that's a lot coming from a
> long-time Solaris hater like me.

This brings up a point I've been wondering about...  what are the
restrictions on using VIS code on ultrasparcs?   Does this require certain
version of solaris to be possible (e.g. perhaps something odd at context
switch time), or can it be accomplished in other OS's.    Also, can VIS
instructions be used while the processor is running 32-bit code?  (e.g. a
64bit kernel/32bit userspace config like linux).

-- Sam

Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as
kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to
repetitive music.
        -- Unknown