[SunRescue] Re: Sun 2/120 Support for NetBSD

Chris Powell rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 09:37:23 CDT 2001

Paul Khoury wrote:

> I noticed on the sunhelp.org page that NetBSD is possibly going to support Sun-2's.

Interesting!

> Does anyone here besides me have a Sun-2?  I have the OS somewhere

I've got a 2/50 with 2MB RAM :) An IBM hard disc in my SS10 has more RAM
than that!

> on cyprus (my webserver), but I never figured out how to write tapes, and

I *think* the Sun 2 boot PROM only supported QIC11 tapes for booting.
Most (all?) Sun 3 tape drives were natively QIC24.

> I don't have a SCSI controller on my Sun 2/120.

I net boot from a 3/260. Aside - if anyone in the UK has a 2/50 SCSI
card/memory expansion I'd be interested :)

> Also, does anyone know how many MIPS this beast is?  I probably won't want to use it

Well the Sun hardware FAQ quotes the 3/50 at 1.5MIPS - that's a 68020 at
15.7MHz. So Sun 2s with 10MHz 68010 (16bit data bus instead of 32bit) will
be ~0.5MIPS at a guess :)

> a lot because of the immense power consumption (even though Los Angeles DWP
> power is really cheap), but I'd like to be able to play with this old relic (that used to belong
> to Los Alamos Labs, X Div).  It has 7MB of RAM in it.

That's a *loaded* Sun 2!

Chris.