[SunRescue] Re: [SunRescue]Tiny executables

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 17 07:30:17 CDT 2001

In the Mainframe operating systems, starting with OS/360 back in th
emid-sixties, they had utility called IEFBR14.

IEFBR14 was, simply, a Branch and Return, Register 14 instruction (aprox. 4
bytes wide, IIRC the IBM 360 was 32-36 bit processor). Again, it's purpose
was to provide an execution "stub" to give the OS a cahnce to do some file
maint.

Later, the program *ballooned* to two instructions - an instruction was
added to set the return register to zero, *then* Branch and Return, based on
the value in register 14.

It is/was an extremely powerful utility for a mainframe JCL coder.

Ken