[SunRescue] SS5 upgrade

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 16 18:31:05 CDT 2001

I don't know anything about great SMP programming, but if I did, I
wouldn't care how old/slow the machine was, since mutex problems exists
reguardless of speed.  In fact, older machines might just be better for
optimization tasks (in the general sense, not the down in assembly nitty
gritty).  I mean, if n^2 for reasonable sizes of n runs fine on your new
box, then why optimize.  But people on slower boxes would probably rather
have that be n or maybe even n^.5 if possible.  Remeber, most of the world
thinks a 486 is a pretty spiffy machine.

But, unfortunatly, I don't know much about optimizing kernels for SMP, so
I can't reasonably offer to help.

--
Joshua Boyd