[SunRescue] SS5 upgrade

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 16 16:14:24 CDT 2001

"Paul Khoury" <pkhoury2 at loop.com> wrote:
>=20
> I ordered an SS5 on eBay, which I should be getting tomorrow.=0B
> It's intended to replace my SS2 webserver.

I'm still happy with my SS2 webserver.  It can be a little slow when it
has to hit Postgres, but for most stuff it's just fine.  I am going to
move stuff over onto the SS1000e though, cos I want to do a lot more
databasey stuff on the server.  I'll retire the SS2 to just doing mail
and news.  The mail server will still have to hit Postgres (across the
network) but I don't care if the mail server is slow.

I did think at one point that I needed more RAM in the SS2, but further
investigation found one of my users running an infobot.  A big infobot.
Without my approval.  Bad user.  EX user :-)

>                                              How much work do I need
> to do to get everything working on it, without reinstalling the OS?
> I know I need a new kernel,

Ha!  So Linux/Sparc is good for at least one thing then :-)  No messing
around with kernel architectures, as 4c, 4d and 4m are all treated the
same.

And yes, my SS2 is running Linux.  With only 64Mb I deemed Solaris to be
silly.  And I was *far* more comfortable with Linux at the time.

The SS1000 will, needless to say, be running Solaris, as none of the=20
*BSD or Linux crowd have adequate SMP support.

--=20
David Cantrell | cthulhu at unixbeard.net | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

  Rip, Mix, Burn, unless you're using our "most advanced operating system
   in the world" which we decided to release incomplete just for a laugh