[SunRescue] help a guy run 2.6 on his 670MP

Dan Debertin rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 15 23:30:43 CDT 2001

There's apparently a way to run Solaris 2.6 on a 670MP with a choice
modification to the kernel. I found and followed the directions in this
rescue post:

http://www.sunhelp.org/pipermail/rescue/1999-September/001086.html

But am still getting an aborted boot. I set up my boot server (Solaris 7,
sun4c, if that matters), and did this:

# cd /install/Solaris_2.6/Tools/Boot/platform/sun4m/kernel
# echo "startup,500?ai" | adb unix | grep ss600
startup+0x72c:  call	iam_ss600
# echo "startup+0x72c,10?ai" | adb unix
startup+0x72c:
startup+0x72c:	call	iam_ss600
startup+0x730:	nop
startup+0x734:	orcc	%g0, %o0, %g0
startup+0x738:	be	startup+0x754
startup+0x73c:	nop
startup+0x740:	sethi	%hi(0xf0269000), %l0
startup+0x744:	call	startup+0x744
startup+0x748:	add	%l0, 0x350, %o0
startup+0x74c:	call	halt
startup+0x750:	clr	%o0
startup+0x754:	call	param_init
startup+0x758:	sethi	%hi(0x0), %l0
startup+0x75c:	ld	[%l0], %l0
startup+0x760:	cmp	%l0, 0x0
startup+0x764:	sethi	%hi(0xf025ec00), %l0
startup+0x768:	be	startup+0x77c

# adb -w unix
startup+0x74c?ai
startup+0x74c:
startup+0x74c:	call halt
startup+0x74c?W 1000000
startup+0x74c:	0x7fffe9fa	=	0x1000000
startup+0x74c?ai
startup+0x74c:
startup+0x74c:	nop
$q

Still getting the same "This hardware platform not supported, blah, blah"
message. I'm 100% sure that this is the kernel image that it's looking at
-- if I move it out of the way, the 670MP notices that it isn't there.

My going theory is that I'm modifying the wrong bit of code, and that the
problem "call halt" instruction is not the one I'm modifying. So I'm
grepping out all of the call halt instructions and trying to figure out
which one is killing me, but I only have a slight grasp of SPARC assembly.
Maybe I'll just adopt a "scorched earth" strategy and replace all of the
"call halt"'s with nop's ;).

The machine in question (the questionable machine ;) is a 670MP, two SM100
modules, 128MB RAM.

So ... what am I doing wrong?

--
Dan Debertin