[SunRescue] Thought on SPARC MP3 player.

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat May 12 00:30:15 CDT 2001

On Fri, 11 May 2001, James Sharp wrote:

> > On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 05:22:34PM -0700, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> > Go with a U1 or a SS5/170.  I was able to play MP3s on a SS5/85, but
> > not the greatest quality.
>
> The sun4c & sun4m machines have fixed rate 8khz audio, no?  Not the best
> thing for decent quality music.

I thought that the Sparc10s had better audio than that.  From
http://www.netside.net/SS10.html#HDR%202%2019 :

Audio: 16-bit audio, 8 to 48 kHz; internal speaker and external microphone

That's a sun4m machine if I'm not wrong (sorry, I don't have which models
are part of which architecture).

I wonder if one could thread MP3 decoding for better performance on low
mhz machines...  I guess one could do an alternating buffer thing between
three forked processes (two to decompress, and one to take the
decompressed buffers and shove them out the audio port.

I wonder if I could get a dual proc 40mhz ss10 to do it...

--
Joshua Boyd