[SunRescue] Thought on SPARC MP3 player.

David Michaud rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 11 22:18:57 CDT 2001

"Joshua D. Boyd" wrote:

> The Ultra1 should definately be able to hand MP3 playing.  The SS5/175
> would also be a good candidate.  I used to play MP3s at top quality on a
> Pentium75 notebook in Windows 95 (by comparison, playing on a 486
> wouldn't quite work at top quality, but still sounded decent), so you can
> see that it doesn't require a super machine.  I doubt that the LX or
> Classic could handle it, but feel free to try.  I'd be interested in
> knowing how the SS5/80 does.
>
> --
> Joshua Boyd

Along thses lines, I have been thinking about building a car mp3 player
using an all-in-one, all-on-board socket7 (ie, Pentium class)
motherboard and placing it in a 1U rack enclosure with a custom power
supply (13.8v car supply/120v autoswitching for portability, etc) and
control electronics for a remote serially controlled LCD and keypad for
operational functions, which would be mounted somewhere on the
dashboard... a 4line x 20char backlit LCD for ex. The hardware end, to
me, is the simple part... simple standalone UART to interface the LCD
and keypad decoder to serial line to the system, but the software end
I'm not sure about... I would need some custom software to do X and Y
and Z when X, Y, and Z are pressed/performed/selected up on the keypad,
etc etc... Anyone have any ideas on this?

-Dave