[SunRescue] Thought on SPARC MP3 player.

Peter L. Wargo rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 11 19:22:34 CDT 2001

While playing with our TiVo last night, I got struck by the idea of using
a SPARCstation to do something similar.  I know there are had-drive
equipped music devices out there, But I though I'd build my own for the
fun of it.

What I would do is store MP3's on my file server, and hook this box the
stereo and the network.  I think some sort of Web-based interface to
access it would be fine, as we have a pair of wireless powerbooks that
would allow access from anywhere.

The question is, what to use?  If I want to run the web page on it and
decompress MP3's, I need *some* beef, but I'm not sure how much.  Plus, I
want to keep the noise and electrical costs down.

Resources:
Classic
LX
SS5/85
SS5/170
SS10, HS-100 or 1 or 2 SM-40's
U1

Or, should I sell a bunch of stuff and use a blade 100...?  Or a low-end
powermac?

The other option would be to install *NIX on a 68040 mac, like a Q605
(with FPU) and do it that way - I could even host the web page on another
system.

Comments, Ideas?

-Pete

-----