[SunRescue] `Bigger' height SCA disks in SS5 ?

Paul Sladen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 9 19:50:08 CDT 2001

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> > Unless you want to 'modify' your SCA backplane you cannot use thicker than
> > 1" drives in the SS5 or 20.
>
> it shouldn't be too hard to dig up a spare SCA backplane, break off (carefully
> of course) the top SCA connector since you can't put a second disk in there
> anyway, and keep the old SCA backplane for when you are ready for two 1" disks.

This was exactly what I working on... only the words `saw-off' were in my
mind;  mind you I guess I'll only be using the machine a couple of years
more, I don't think I'll put in another disk in the machine (it's a 9Gb I
want to put in) before it get relegated again.  The backplane takes a
standard SCSI-II DB50; and 4-pin power leads if that helps anyone with
ideas.

OTOH, if anyone has a spare backplane... (Nottingham, UK, etc, etc).

Paul

PS. Remind to self: copy the disks over /before/ hacking the connector off!

--
h: 0115 922 7162   w: 0115 953 1803