[SunRescue] Rescue my bank account (AXi and PGX32 fs)

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 9 02:28:54 CDT 2001

Ok, this should be the last of the big stuff I want to clear out in the
short term.  Once I get my 450 together (woohoo!) my old server will be up
for grabs.  It's a SparcEngine Ultra AXi:

http://www.sun.com/microelectronics/SPARCengineUltraAXi/

In a nutshell, it's a rocking Sun uniprocessor box.  It takes the same CPU
modules as the Ultra 5/10 (currently have a 333MHz/2MB module in it) but
has much more onboard I/O.  6 PCI slots (on 2 separate busses), dual UW
SCSI, and a UPA slave slot for a Creator/Elite framebuffer (vertical form
factor, same as the 5/10/30/60).  Max of 1GB RAM, and the entire thing is
ATX form factor and fits into a PC case.  The only thing it is missing
onboard is audio, and that's easily addable with an ES1370 audio card
(such as the SoundBlaster PCI64).

This box is currently configged like:

333MHz/2MB CPU
256MB RAM (2 128MB DIMMs)
9GB drive (Quantum Atlas III I think)
ES1370 audio card (audioens driver)
24x Toshiba CDROM, PC floppy
Generic noname PC tower case & PS, custom cooling ductwork

True, it's a trifle slower than a Blade 100 (but not much) but drastically
more expandable.  The only reason I'm ditching it at all is because I need
64-bit PCI (all the AXi slots are 32-bit/33MHz).  From bumming around Ebay
I'd guess at the value of this box at a bit over $1k, though I'd consider
dropping bits to reduce the price some.

I also have a PGX32 card, a 100baseT Sun PCI hme card, and some dual UW
SCSI cards.  These will go together with the AXi or separately, I'm
figuring around $150-200 for each.  At one time this box had 8 UW SCSI
chains (6 SE, 2 diff).

Make me an offer so I can get rid of it so my wife doesn't disown me when
the UPS guy shows up with the replacement.  I'm looking for cash, large
UPS' and tape stackers.  My Exabyte 8505XL isn't cutting it anymore.

-James