[SunRescue] Format parameters for Fuji MAB3045SC?

Paul Sladen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 8 00:59:19 CDT 2001

On Mon, 7 May 2001, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:

> > > Hmmm... Might have to use the macintosh to get it happy again...
> >
> > Try dd'ing the first 8k of the disk with zeros:
> >
> >   dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/{disk} bs=512 count=16
>
> Why does format need that zeroed?

I have no idea!... Well, actually, I've had trouble with formating utils
that /insist/ on reading the partition table; then cry when it's corrupt,
despite the fact that it was the very same program that toasted it on it's
previous run, but 30 seconds previous.

`Detoasting' has helped me of half a dozen occasions so far.

Paul

--
h: 0115 922 7162   w: 0115 953 1803