[SunRescue] Format parameters for Fuji MAB3045SC?

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 7 09:14:40 CDT 2001

> Specify disk type (enter its number): 0
> Must reformat device to 512-byte blocksize.  Continue? y
> Formatting...
> Auto configure failed
>
> Hmmm... Might have to use the macintosh to get it happy again...

I sympathize with you.....(:+\\...

That is why I keep a VAX around.... to fix the braindead sun format
barfs.....  I have yet to find but one drive that the old VAX could
not format correctly.  Sadly, that was a Fujitsu that the Sun clobbered.
I have yet to understand why DEC got it right, in prom no less, and
on the Sun it is a hit-and-miss proposition.  Formatting on the Sun,
for non standard drives, has always been a hairpuller, and I ain't
got much hair left to pull...(:+{{....

Does anyone actually know what the Sun formatter is actually
writing on the platters at what time in the formatting process?
What does the mac do on the drives that the Sun doesn't?
I would be curious how the mac stacks up against the VAX on this.

Good Luck....(:+}}...

Bob