[SunRescue] Question about SSAs

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 4 20:01:39 CDT 2001

On May 4, James Lockwood wrote:
> > A Q-logic QLA 2100 card will work.
>
> These will work fine with the 100MB/s FCAL arrays, but I've never been
> able to get one to work with the old 25MB/s SSA's.  IIRC Sun released
> these before FC was fully standardized.

  I heard somewhere that the 25MB/s interface isn't even FCAL (beyond
the obvious incompatibility you mentioned above, that is)...is there
any truth to this?

  On the subject of FCAL...I'm about to light up an A5100 on an Ultra30
with a QLA2100.  I've never managed an FCAL-based system before, and
the I/O performance of this system is going to be rather
critical...can anyone offer any tips for performance tuning and/or
monitoring?  The system is running Solaris7, with which I'm also
somewhat unfamiliar...I'm a BSD guy.

        -Dave McGuire