Favorite Dumpster Dive (was: RE: [SunRescue] Sun3 emulation?)

Gil Young rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 2 09:08:31 CDT 2001

I lived through the same with a gould firebreather, the license ran up for
the beast and it went bye-bye.  I learned about it too late to dumpster
dive for it :(.   Speaking of which, what was your favorite dumpster dive
finds?

For me it was a quantel minicomputer, a PDP-11 rack with the lead weights
still in the bottom.

Once at a silent auction, for 27 cents, I picked up an old IBM copier that
was 6.5 feet long and weighed more than my truck.  I carried it in the back
of my truck (a VW Diesel Pickup) about 4 miles too.  Ended up taking it
apart and scrapping it.

At the same auction (and for the same price) I picked up an older AGFA high
quality pre-printing machine.  It had about 3 dozen high quality lenses in
it on spin trays and it still worked!

Gil