[SunRescue] Re: Spectra Logic Bullfrog

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 1 17:02:49 CDT 2001

On 1 May 2001, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> Do you folks just discover these on ebay, or what?  I managed to borrow
> a 2GB DDS2 drive from work, and while it holds 2GB, but it takes ane
> entire night to fill the tape using GNU tar, with the drive hooked to a
> 3940UW.  I've got about that much stuff just in my user directory, so
> I'm browsing around for something faster, bigger, better...

Best deal at the low end these days in my opinion is 8mm.  Exabyte 8500's
(5GB uncompressed) can be had for as little as $5 on Ebay (picked one up
20 minutes ago for that with case).  The nicer 8505XL can do 7GB/14GB on
160m 8mm tapes, and usually goes for under $150.

The biggest advantage is that 8mm media is _cheap_.  You can easily get
under $1/GB uncompressed.

-James