[SunRescue] Funkiness in Sparc serial consoles using vt100

Kurt Mosiejczuk rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 1 15:01:50 CDT 2001

On Tue, 1 May 2001, User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:

> I am running into a small problem on a Sparc Classic using a vt100
> terminal (a real DEC VT420 in vt100 mode that works fine on VAXentoyz)
> in that it has a propensity to add things like vertical bars and the
> silly DEC ? chars (null?).  The thing is set 9600/8/n/1, and it works
> fine on my SS10 running NetBSD or OpenBSD, but, on the Classic it
> spits those chars.

I've seen the same thing on my vt420 with my IPX.  I haven't really
nailed it down yet, but I have suspected it has to do with serial
overruns.  My vt420 was in smooth scroll mode and I've turned it
off and haven't seen it again (although I haven't used it much
since I turned off smooth scroll).  I suspected an interaction
between the smooth scroll and maybe me not having modem control
lines right (got an IPX serial cable(sun) with a null modem to get
output on the vt420).

That help?

--Kurt