[SunRescue] Re: Software raid

Kevin Loch rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 24 11:44:09 CST 2001

Actually, you can run DiskSuite raid zero on one disk
and get much better (and quieter) performance than
without.  It must be the extra caching or some intelligent
write queueing that smooths out the seeks.

On a side note, using the "cat" device driver in FreeBSD
to stripe two disks, I was able to achieve exactly twice
the throughput of a single disk under careful measurement.
I was impressed with that since it was a software only
solution.

Of course those examples are with raid 0.
Raid 5 is what kills you on performance.  If you have
the disks, try raid0+1 (the optimum for high write
counts anyway).

KL