[SunRescue] Should an editor require you to think?

Scott Norwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 9 12:55:58 CST 2001

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, amy wrote:

> *chuckle* no, no. you have it wrong. you can be a man and not drag home
> every piece of decrepit ancient machinery that wanders past your house
> in search of a good home. (and believe me, most future spouses would
> probably agree ;)

I don't know if this is possible.  Are you sure?

I'm 24 and have already accumulated a large quantity of "decrepit
ancient machinery"...assorted old computers (my web/mail server is
still a poor little 386 PC...I've been meaning to upgrade it for the
last few years, but it really has plenty of power for what it does, and
I can't complain about 250-day uptimes...), lots of 16mm and 35mm films
and equipment, other random interesting-looking stuff that I've been
able to get free or cheap.

This problem seems to increase exponentially, too.  As friends learn
that I am a pack rat and am easily seduced by interesting-looking shiny
mechanical things and blinky electrical things, even those with zero
(or negative) practical value, they start to offer this stuff to me.  I
then accept it and tell myself that <insert description of useless junk
here> is too cool to not own.

The cycle continues...

- Scott