[rescue] Re: rescue digest, Vol 1 #1611 - 16 msgs

mike dombrowski rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jun 30 19:27:48 CDT 2001

>> I'm almost tempted to try finding some more FDDI stuff and play with
it. I
>> also saw an SBUS CDDI card but since I don't run EISA, my copper
FDDIlink
>> cards are probably far down in the piles-o-mire... so I didn't
ponder
>> getting it.
>
>CDDI is good food.  99.5% of my stuff at home is CDDI.  Its so much
easier
>to string cat5 around instead of having to pull fiber.  Its not quite
as
>interference resistant as fiber, but it works pretty damn well.

Pah, by going CDDI you miss out on the biggest advantage of FDDI, the
coolness factor. People aren't impressed when you show them a regular
old cat5 cable and tell them it's basically the same speed as fast
ethernet but costs more and nothing new supports it. But when you show
them your brightly-colored cable of untappable, EM immune, glass data
loving their eyes light up. Still want a 100baseT bridge, but if
anybody got a 10baseT one I'm interested.

Mike