[rescue] Re: [geeks] interesting geek toy

Michael S. Schiller rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jun 30 14:25:41 CDT 2001

Ed:

As I understand it, encryption is legal, both for law enforcement, as well as
commercial communications. Don't know about ham stuff. And I believe the same
rules would apply, they can encrypt it, and if you can decrypt it, as long as
you don't use the info for commercial gain, there's not much they can do
about it.

-Mike

ed at the7thbeer.com wrote:

> > They cant keep you from listening to whats on the public airwaves.
> > Doing anything else with the signal, tho..
>
> What exactly constitutes a "public airwave"?  Cops in the local county use
> encrypted voice transmissions for tactical operations from time to time,
> though the algorithm is trivial, it is still an encrypted communication.
> Is there a set of spectrum in which such is allowed, or allowed for law
> enforcement purposes?  (And no, I'm not referring to trunked comm.
> systems).
>

> > bill
> >
> > --
> > Bill Bradford
> > mrbill at mrbill.net
> > Austin, TX

*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: schiller at agrijag.com       \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349               (o o)    FAX: 423-623-9054      *