[rescue] Linux is GNU, only GNU, nothing but GNU

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 28 13:40:52 CDT 2001

[ On Thursday, June 28, 2001 at 09:33:15 (-0400), James Fogg wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Re:EMACS

> > > I just can't get used to BSD derivatives. I'm a sysV kinda guy.
> >
> > Labeling Linux as a BSD derivative is ... *strange*.
>
> No, I labeled Debian a BSD derivative, which it is. Red Hat and most others are
> sysV derivatives. Solaris is also a sysV derivative.

I don't think so!  On either count!

Last I looked all distributions of systems using the Linux kernel were
based on the GNU/Linux addon stuff that makes up the rest of the system
the users see.

There's nothing SysV or BSD about GNU/Linux.

(Yes there are SysV-LIKE and BSD-LIKE parts to various different
GNU/Linux distributions, with different leanings in each, but Linux is
GNU and not much else but, no matter which distribution you choose!)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>