[rescue] Re: Netapp

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 28 11:13:16 CDT 2001

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1248807021
>
> I came across one on ebay.  They certainly are visually snazzy devices.

THere's some useful information in the archives on these and rescuing
them. Unfortunately, they're not that cheap to get running legitimately
due to some really casual-user-unfriendly licensing practices. If it has a
license code installed, you can use it "unofficially" but if it doesn't,
you're screwed unless you spend a couple thousand on protocol licenses.
And without protocol licenses, it's a P100 with a nifty rackmount case.

I've made a semi-formal request to my company's Netapp sales rep and other
contacts in the company for them to come up with a casual user/home user
licensing plan. Makes sense to me that if you use something at home,
you're more comfortable with it at work. Could be good PR for them (I'm
guessing the DEC/Sun free licensing plans made them more legitimately
popular among home/hobby users) and could also expand their market for
used equipment too. Probably a lot of people around who wouldn't mind
having an F330 with a rack of 9gb disks. THey are cool, and can be found
cheap. Not perfect, and you can't run Emacs or Vi under ONTAP, but they
are cool.

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows