[Re: [rescue] Another fine business decision for us axp-lovers]

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 27 18:52:28 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 05:47:47PM -0600, Michael Hansen wrote:
> > Heh.  I *know* what the customers are saying.
> > "Oh FUCK!  Shouldnt have just bought that new Alpha system..."
> ...or maybe:
> "I'll never buy another POS compaq again, especially
> with an POS intel chip."

our head sysadmin (along with the Tru64 Advisory Committee, who he's
a member of) grilled some high-ups at DEC yesterday.  It was fun to
listen to, since he's in the cube next to me:

"If all you're doing to be doing is porting Tru64 to run on
 commodity Intel hardware and CPUs, why should we get Tru64?
 For the price difference, we can get Sun hardware and OS
 cheaper with better performance."

(We're a 90% Sun shop with about 8% Alpha/Tru64 and the rest
 various..)

The day that Compaq bought DEC, I took the afternoon off and went
home.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford