[rescue] Re:EMACS

Kurt Mosiejczuk rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 27 16:57:00 CDT 2001

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> Main feature of emacs that I actually USE vs. vi:  ability to cut and paste
> between buffers/ files.
>
> Do this in vi:  open 10 different files, cut text from one of them, then
> switch to another file and paste the text there.  Ugh - a real finger
> twister, IIRC.

Um, nobody has jumped on this one yet, but this is actually VERY easy
in vi.  When you cut and paste in vi, you actually use an unnamed cut
buffer.  If you precede your Y,yy,D,dd or what have you with the
sequence "a then the cut/copy will be placed into cut buffer a.  There
are 26 of them, a through z, and they persist between files unlike
the default buffer. (When I say between files, they only persist as
long as you are in one execution of vi, you can't vi foo, cut, quit
and then vi bar and paste).

I realize that there are probably quite a few things emacs can do that
vi cannot, but most of the time, when someone brings up something vi
cannot do, it's because of them not knowing how to, not that vi can't
do it.

--Kurt