[rescue] Re:EMACS

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 27 13:42:28 CDT 2001

[ On Wednesday, June 27, 2001 at 10:55:49 (-0400), James Fogg wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Re:EMACS
>
> The ubiquitous nature of Vi won me over. I can Vi in Solaris, Vim in LInux and
> even Vim in MS Windows. In fact, with *nix systems I don't have to do a thing
> to be able to Vi/m. If I want to EMACS (my previous weapon of choice) I have to
> add software (unless its Red Hat Linux).

You do have to know how to use vi if you're going to keep your Unix
skills portable, but you don't have to use it beyond configuring enough
of the system to get it on the net and fetch emacs!  ;-)

(I like to claim I know more 'vi' tricks than any average full-tim 'vi'
user I've ever met.)

> Its low resource requirements make it
> attractive too (ever try to EMACS on a crippled system?).

That's what 'ed' is for.....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>