[rescue] RE: Why buy DEC when you can get the milk for free?

William W. Arnold rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 17:14:22 CDT 2001

Bill Bradford writes ---
>Thats probably what it was.  In our sysadmin meeting, "we paid these
>guys HOW MUCH money to run stuff we could have done in 10 minutes, for
>free?"

Grin.  My boss's response to almost that question was:
"No. We paid $$$$ for the right to say that
<Big Name Auditing Company> performed a security audit
of our systems, and did not find any problems. The
security scan was a free side effect of getting that
permission."

We've copied their nicely printed/formated/worded report
into a number of proposals/contracts/Bid responses since
then.  The customers find it very reassuring.  Even though
it's mostly worthless.

-billy- warnold at vipnet.org
Senior Systems Administrator
  Virginia Interactive