[rescue] RE: Why buy DEC when you can get the milk for free?

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 15:53:06 CDT 2001

On June 26, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > I hear they just use nessus these days.
>
> Thats probably what it was.  In our sysadmin meeting, "we paid these
> guys HOW MUCH money to run stuff we could have done in 10 minutes, for
> free?"

  There's one problem with that, though, that I ran into myself at a
company that many people here know.  The management simply DIDN'T
TRUST their own technical staff to perform such auditing...so they put
their trust in a complete stranger to do it...they hired a Beltway
Bandit max-dollar contractor.

  This points to another, deeper problem in this industry, which I don't
really want to get into right now.

       -Dave McGuire