[rescue] RE: Time division and collision domains!

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 14:10:03 CDT 2001

One question, does USB have synchronization, so as to avoid *collisions*.

You can not get 10 Mb/s through a 10 Mb/s ethernet port - period. Even crossover connections are less than 10 Mb/s. Put multiple systems with dynamic and bursty traffic, and your total average through-put will drop quickly.

When an Ethernet device has a packet to send, it does, and if there was already another device using the Ethernet "backbone", the device attempting to communicate will not only clobber the packet that was being sent (I think), but the attempting device will wait a random period of time and then attempt again. This is collison detect.

I suspect USB uses some sort of sync signal, and devices consume time slices.

You can not, AFAIK, get Quality of Service out of Ethernet - period.

Ken
(I just had to explain to a Visual Basic programmer about formatted printing/Pring Using in BASIC - yesh - isn't it a shame what passes for a "technical" education these days...)