[rescue] SGI and Intel (was: Another fine business decision for us axp-lovers)

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 13:32:55 CDT 2001

On June 26, Al Potter wrote:
> >   ...purely for the sake of the press that it will get them.
>
> And the free (think free bier) operating system (say goodbye to IRIX), and all
> of the pre-ported, community supported applications that come with it.

  Well...some of us don't WANT to say goodbye to IRIX.  Please don't
view that as a universally Good Thing(tm).

  For all of its quirks, IRIX has been through iteration after iteration
of tuning and tweaking, and it was BUILT to run on SGI hardware.
Linux is reasonably quick on a PeeCee...but I really don't see a very
i386-specific OS transplanted to a complex architecture beating
something like IRIX performance-wise anytime soon.  Witness the
abyssmal performance of Linux on Alpha, for example.

          -Dave McGuire