[rescue] SGI and Intel (was: Another fine business decision for us axp-lovers)

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 11:15:44 CDT 2001

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Sebastian Marius Kirsch wrote:
> Yeah, possibly, but the audience of these books are hardly clueless
> newbies who need to bed guided step by step through the instruction --
> they are system administrator who are supposed to set up naming service
> or remote boot service for a company. I think they should be trusted to
> sort between information that is relevant to them and which is not.

I wouldn't be to sure about that.  First, a lot of professional sysadmins
are clueless.  And then there are those of us who don't really want to be
sysadmins but have to be anyway (like every programmer who installs one or
more home linux/solaris/irix machines).

I know a lot of people who would prefer a book just for linux so that they
can be sure it will break everything into baby steps.  Myself, I only buy
books for the big picture.  If I want/need baby steps, I search for a
HOWTO.  Versions change too quickly to be fully documented in a book.

BTW, has anyone here looked at CMU's Sphinx system?  I've seen evidence
that it is pretty acurate at conversational voice recognition, but they
don't have much documentation available on using it.

--
Joshua Boyd