[rescue] I'm one happy geek

Brian Harrington rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 10:26:15 CDT 2001

--On Tuesday, June 26, 2001 12:45:19 +0100 Paul Sladen
<lists at paul.sladen.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
>> Didnt one Mac even have its *display* connected via ADB?  I think to
>> remember a model of Mac II I used in college...
>
> This display just acted as an ADB `hub' so that you could plug your
> kbd/mouse into it at the front rather than reaching around the back of the
> machine.
>
> Q:  Did it do an colour management or anything like that -- it was around
> the time of Apple's Colourmatching technology?

Yep.  Most mid to high-end Mac monitors use either ADB or the serial port
for software control of the monitor, loading color profiles, and attaching
colorimeters (is that a real word?).  It's really quite cool.  The only
problem is when you try and attach a snazzy multisync monitor to a Mac and
don't have the right cables, it will force you to use 640x480, 67 Hz,
because it doesn't know what it's talking to and is programmed to play it
safe.

                   -- Brian

--
Brian Harrington