[rescue] Re: Xyplex MaxServer

Simeon Johnston rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 08:53:37 CDT 2001

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 08:54:17PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, but it boots its OS off a tftp/bootp server, no?
>
> ah, see, all the ones i've ever seen/worked with had the flash cards. :)

I have actually sold serveral of 1600's on eBay and never bothered to really look into how they work.
:-)
I (we) have sold at least 30 of these now and only one of them ever had the flash card.

BTW, what is the Xyplex website and where did you get the boot image?

> > There *are* such tools for windowws (I used a bootp server to set the
> > IP address of my Cisco switch so I could telnet into it without a
> > serial console), but they're not exactly user-friendly to those who
> > arent familiar with them.

I would use the free "tftpd32" software.  It's really small and very easy to use.  It is also the best free tftp server I've found for windows.  I can't seem to find the link though.
If you want I could email it to you as an attachment or something.  It's all of 112K unstuffed.

> and depending what you are using it for, it doesn't do you much good if you
> can't connect to the console of your tftp server since your terminal server
> can't boot since the tftp server is down.  hmmm, catch-22.  however, the
> chances of this being a probem if windows is your tftp server is overshadowed
> by all the OTHER problems windows has.  that and i seriously doubt windows is
> real useful over the serial port. :)

What better application of a dumb OS than a dumb terminal :-)

sim