[rescue] The end of alpha

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 02:06:52 CDT 2001

Dave McGuire wrote:

> > On the other hand, from what I've read about Itanium up until now, this was
> > probably the *only* way Intel could make that chip usable...They should just
> > flat out replace the thing...
>
>   Yeah...it's a pretty sad state of affairs.  I wonder what it would
> take to make Intel admit to the world that they're a bunch of
> blithering idiots who have NO FUCKING IDEA how to design high-speed
> processors.

But, but... (snipped from official statement)
"We believe Intel's architecture is the best choice for the enterprise,
and for our customers this is truly the best of both worlds."

PFFFT!!!

Somehow, I'm not surprised. Pissed and disappointed, but not surprised.
I wonder how long it will take until (someone) at Compaq finds out the
clear fact that "shit, we shouldn't have left the Alpha in the dust...
now we're screwed.".
Although the above solution to replace the entire Itanium with Alpha and
rebadge it as "Itanium" is quite amusing.

Anyway, I see one obstacle disappearing with this; we don't have to
battle over "x86 server or Alpha server?", cause we have no choice no
more. Heh... TOTAL WINDOWS NT DOMINATION!
Geez... As you said Dave, this industry IS shot.

/Bjorn