[rescue] I'm one happy geek

Brian Dunbar rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 25 23:11:42 CDT 2001

>>-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua D. Boyd [mailto:jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu]

Is ethernet really adequate for such devices?  I saw USB more as replacing
PS/2, ADB, Serial, parallel, and to a lesser extent SCSI for low bandwidth
devices.

With ethernet, you'd have to buy large switches, which aren't that cheap.

Joshua Boyd<<

Um, you don't *need* switches with ethernet - it works / worked fine on
small networks w/ NICs only for a long long time.  So did ARCnet for that
matter.  The switches/hubs/etc only come into play when you plug nets
together.

Which makes me wonder now - why wasn't Ethernet (or ARCnet) adopted for the
horde of peripherals littering my desk?  Ethernet NICs are cheap, and
imbedded into Mice/Scanners/Etc. could have been cheaper yet . . .

Why NOT a desktop Ethernet LAN?  Anyone?