[rescue] The end of alpha

Chris Petersen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 25 14:20:24 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 01:50:38PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On June 25, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > dollars on porting.  Tru64 is already a beautiful OS to work with, if they
> > keep improving it and pushing it out into the common Itanium arena, this
> > could be a really good thing...
>
>   I hope I'm misinterpreting you here.  Are you saying that a world of
> only PeeCees based on Intel processors would be just fine, as long as
> certain operating systems run on them?

Heh.  Yeah, it sounded like that...That's what I get for trying amateur
punditry after a late night concert (Depeche Mode's tour for their new
album, Exciter, if anyone's interested...)

I guess what I was trying to say is that it's a reasonable assumption that
we're going to get stuck with Itanium in some fashion or another, outside of
Sun and perhaps IBM.  If that's the case, at least they'll be some OS of
reasonable caliber available.  I mean, I don't think HP-UX will survive an
Itanium transition (or at least have my personal doubts), but I can't see
that Tru64 has anywhere to go but up :)

Okay, sounds kinda like the early Linux/FreeBSD arguments (If I've gotta use
Intel at least I'll use something worthwhile on it...).  And hey, if they put
all that Alpha tech under the hood, Itanium might only partially suck...

Eeek, better stop before I'm banned from geekdom...My cohorts already accuse
me of being a SysV sellout (too long admining HP-UX recently), this is
another nail in the coffin...

>   That's what I got from your message.  Please correct me.  I beg of
> you.

Okay, Hi, I'm Chris, and I think I might be suffering from an Intel
delusion  :)  Gotta be something they put in this Stark County, OH water
(kudos to those of you who heard about good old Stark County water a few
weeks back)...

Chris

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer, Industry Services, Unigraphics Solutions Inc.
Email: havoc at apk.net