[rescue] What would you do?

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jun 23 23:13:44 CDT 2001

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 11:05:27PM -0500, Chad A. Chance wrote:
> The question is, what should I do with this fat check that I will be getting
> in a matter of weeks?
> Get a new SunBlade 100 with all the goodies? Or...
> Get a nice used Ultra 30 or something with all the goodies?

What will you be doing with the machine?  For desktop use, go for the
SunBlade; if server ops or heavy number crunching, go for a U30 with a
CPU with plenty of L2 cache and a Creator 3D.

I've got a dual-360mhz U60 and a SB100 (with Expert3D Lite) at home and
they're both good desktops, but the SB100 "feels" faster due to the
500Mhz CPU (even tho it only has 256K of L2 cache, versus 4meg on each
of the U60's CPUs) and Expert3D Lite versus Creator3D.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net