[rescue] More on Silicon Samsara

Dan Debertin rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jun 23 22:13:49 CDT 2001

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Chad A. Chance wrote:

> With the recent acquisition of a Ross 150 I now have an SM51 available if
> anybody needs one, maybe I can get a picture of it on the net as well ;-)

I've thought about switching from superSPARC to hyperSPARC on my main
machine, but every time I look at them, I worry about the shrinking of the
L2 cache as the clock speed goes up. While you can get hyperSPARC CPUs
with 1MB cache, lots of them (all of the fastest ones, most of the slower
ones) have 256 or 512K of cache.

Presently, I run three 50MHz CPU's (thanks, Chad & Mike S!), each with a
nice, fat 1MB of L2 cache. Most of the hyperSPARC machines that I
administer at work have dual 125-150MHz CPUs, and are not appreciably
faster than machines running slower-clockspeed superSPARC modules with
bigger caches. So at thing point, I'm thinking "forget hyperSPARC"! ;)

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Dan
--
Dan Debertin